Whether you’re tired of your boring bedroom or have recently moved and are taking the opportunity to revamp your style, below are a few ways to restyle your space in a quick, simple and relatively inexpensive way.
1. Start with color. Popular fall colors are traditionally associated with autumn leaves and include deep reds, russets and burgundies, as well as vibrant yellows, pumpkin orange, mochas and browns. Choosing comforters and bedding featuring these colors will help you create a warm look that says “fall” as soon as you walk into the room.
2. Layer it on. Having multiple layers of bedding not only looks more elegant, it also offers you and your guests more flexibility when it comes to customizing for temperature. You can also add warmth and comfort with soft throws — and be sure to have extras on-hand for overnight guests or particularly chilly nights. Choose the softest sheets for your bed and be sure to have about three sets on hand. That way, you’ll have a few on reserve during laundry time or when guests visit.
3. Think pillows. Much more than an accent color, decorative pillows have come into their own as one of the simplest ways to personalize any space and change a home’s décor. Many exciting new pillow trends are making their debut, including couture, nubby and boldly-patterned choices.
4. Mix & match. Add warmth and character to your room by mixing and matching textures and patterns. For example, choose throw pillows that look like they came from the same place or era as your bedding, then mix nubby with smooth. To mix patterns, simply repeat the colors in each decorative pillow, while differentiating the pattern’s motif or scale.
5. Don’t forget the basics. All the decorative bedding in the world won’t truly make you comfortable if you don’t have the basics covered. Begin by choosing supportive pillows and, of course, a comfortable mattress and bed foundation.