With the advent of social media sites, a lot of business owners think this is all they need. They mistakenly believe that good old fashion person to person networking is dead.Nothing could be farther from the truth.
The fact is it is more important than ever to make these human connections. It actually will make connecting online more powerful when you have met your online friends face to face.
Networking has been a really important part of my business – the connections have kept my business alive and well. A lot of people get the wrong idea about how to go about networking with groups. It isn’t the immediate sale that you are looking for it is long lasting relationships. Being know for you expertise and building trust with other movers and shakers in you communities is priceless. These are the types of people you want in your circle of business friends.
In every city and town there are business networking groups – you may have to go to several before you settle on the one you want to attend regularly. When you do go to a networking event I have 10 tips that will help you make the connections you need.
9 tips to productive networking…
- Always bring a handful of business card – give a card to everyone you meet.
- Dress in business attire – first impressions are everything
- Go out of your way to meet people, introduce yourself
- Do not sell while networking. Your purpose is to make contacts not drive people away the minute you meet them.
- The best way to make conversation is to ask them questions about what they do.
- When you get home follow up by emailing them and letting them know you would like to keep in touch.
- Organize contacts on your – computer or smart phone. Using their business cards to make notes
- When making referrals think of people in your contact circle first. This is a good way of cementing your relationships.
So find a meeting to attend in your community – nothing but good can come from it… For help in promoting your business shoot me an email – I would love to chat…